Happy National Margarita Day, everybody! My good friend, the fabulous Heather of girlichef, has brought a wonderful group of bloggers together to celebrate this glorious holiday.
You are OBLIGATED to spend your entire day drinking margaritas. It’s the law (no, it’s not but let’s pretend that it is). Just got out of bed? Slam back that frosty drink. Just finished your Saturday morning grocery shopping? Sip your way to relaxation. It’s finally after twelve noon? Keep that blender going and top up that pitcher! Seriously, today, it’s always five o’clock. By three p.m. you should barely be able to stand up but make sure your hand is firmly secured around your glass.
I really really love alcohol. So it was a no brainer when Heather asked if I wanted to contribute something. I had a lot of fun coming up with something sweet ‘n delicious. I didn’t add alcohol to my dessert but you can bet I’ll be washing it down with booze!
I made a lemon ‘n lime cake and topped it with a lemon ‘n lime sugar cookie crust, sprinkled with lime-zest-infused sugar. I wanted my dish to have the classic margarita flavours with that pretty coloured sugar.
Margarita (Lemon ‘n Lime) Cake (adapted from Baking Bites)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tbsp lime zest
1 tbsp lemon zest
3 tbsp milk
3 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and lightly grease.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sugar, egg, lime zest and lemon zest. Stir in half of the flour mixture.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the milk, lime juice and lemon juice. The mixture will curdle. Add the liquids to the large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add the remaining flour and mix only until no streaks of flour are visible. The batter will be thick.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and using a rubber spatula or spoon, spread it into an even layer.
Lemon Lime Sugar Cookie Crust
Combine the zest of one lime (or lemon or both!) and 1/4 cup granulated sugar. Using your fingers, rub the zest and sugar together until fully incorporated and fragrant.
Assembly and Baking:
Bake the cake for 15 minutes then pull it out of the oven. Using your hands, drop bits of the cookie batter over top of the cake until the entire surface of the cake is covered. I only used about 75% of the cookie batter (I didn’t want the cookie top to be thicker than the cake portion) and used the rest to make cookies. You can use your fingers to smooth the top. Sprinkle the zesty sugar over top.
Return to the oven and bake another 15 minutes. The cookie will be puffed and slightly golden.
Oh mama was this good.
I stored it at room temp just loosely covered with plastic wrap and four days later, it still tasted amazing. Use a very sharp knife to cut the bars cause you want to get nice straight edges through the cookie layer.
The cookie and cake tasted amazing together. The texture of the cookie was almost creamy, with a fabulous crunch from the sugar topping. I had to bring these bars into the office to photograph because I made them late last Sunday night and there’s zero natural light when I get home after work during the week. As soon as my photo shoot was done, I shared these with my coworkers and they demolished them. I think this has had the best reception out of all the desserts I’ve brought in!
I hope your day is delicious and boozy and full of margaritas! Need some inspiration? Check out what everyone’s bringing to the party:
- Blackberry Margarita from Cooking for My Peace of Mind
- Chili Lime Margarita from Curious Cuisiniere
- Chocolate Margaritas from The Texan New Yorker
- Creamsicle Margaritas from Savvy Eats
- Frozen Mango Margarita from Noshing with the Nolands
- Lilikoi Margarita with Li Hung Mui from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Margaritas Gone Wild from Delaware Girl Eats
- Mixed Berry Margarita from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- Mom’s Wicked Margarita from Desserts Required
- Pomegranate Margarita from Daily Dish Recipes
- Spicy Raspberry Frozen Margarita from The Weekend Gourmet
- Tamarind Margaritas from girlichef
- The Great Grapefruit Margarita from La Cocina de Leslie
- Tim G’s Margarita from Sidewalk Shoes
- Baked Margarita Chicken Wings from Healthy. Delicious.
- Chambord Margarita Macarons from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Margarita Cake with Sugar Cookie Crust from Gotta Get Baked
- Margarita Cheesecake Bars from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Margarita Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Margarita Donuts from Big Flavors from a Tiny Kitchen
- Margarita Mousse from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Margarita Shrimp from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Margarita Shrimp Tacos from Supper for a Steal
- Strawberry Margarita Sweet Rolls from The Dutch Baker’s Daughter
- Top Shelf (Margarita) Truffles from Culinary Adventures with Camilla