One wonderful thing that’s happened during my foray into blogging is being welcomed into a large warm inclusive blogging community. I’ve really loved meeting fellow bloggers, exchanging messages, and getting to know them not only through their blogs but on a more personal level.
One fabulous woman I’ve had the pleasure of meeting is the amazing Alice of Hip Foodie Mom. She is indeed the very epitome of her blog name. She makes the most incredible food, both sweet and savoury. She also quoted lyrics from Will Smith’s Summer Time (one of my absolute favourite summertime anthems) in one of her recent posts. Totally cool. She honoured me with the One Lovely Blog award over a month ago. Thank you so much, Alice – and I’m sorry it’s taken so long for me to accept! It doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate it – it just means I’m a terrible procrastinator!
To accept, I have to list 7 random facts about myself and name 7 bloggers that I want to honour with the award.
7 Facts about Nancy (that’s me!)
1) I’m actually a very picky eater – I hate lamb, eggplant, cabbage and anything pickled, just to name a few items.
2) I can’t do accents to save my life. To annoy and disgust the Husband, I’ll put on my terrible British accent and say things like “Cheerio! Pip, pip! Brilliant, mate! Top of the morning” (the last one’s not even a British phrase!).
3) I’ve only ever left North America twice – both times on trips to Hong Kong. I would love to travel more but have always put school and work before vacation. I’m extremely jealous of my friends who have travelled all over the world.
4) My favourite book is It by Stephen King. It’s deliciously creepy and achingly melancholy at the same time. It’s over 1000 pages but I was still devastated when I first finished reading it – I wanted it to go on forever. Since then, I’ve probably read it over 20 times.
5) I’m a total sap. I bawl during touching scenes in movies, tv shows and books. Sad to say, I’ve even shed a tear during particularly heartwarming commercials.
6) I practiced kung fu for about 3 years when I was in my early 20s. The Husband is a black belt and has practiced since he was 8 years old so like many other partners of kung fu club members, I eventually started practicing myself. I was in the best shape of my life during that time period but I stopped when I went to law school. I’d love to go back.
7) I love the Olympics and am watching as much of it as possible during my spare time. I’m in absolute awe of the incredible strength and spirit of all the athletes.
There are so many incredible blogs that I follow and here is just a small sampling of them:
Leslie the Foodie – I recently discovered this blog and am glad I did. Leslie’s made some pretty delicious treats, such as her own version of President’s Choice “The Decadent” CCC and dried cherry shortbread cookies with white chocolate drizzle. She also makes some delectable savoury foods, like her EPIC veggie burgers.
Chew Out Loud made a gorgeous double chocolate cake with kahlua whipped cream and strawberries on August 7, 2012. One look at that lovely layer cake with that dreamy flavour combination and I was hooked.
The Messy Baker – I love this blog. Jennie has a genuine, honest voice and her personality comes shining through in each post. Not to mention the amazingly delicious things that come out of her kitchen. She just recently started jogging and is chronicling her journey, something I can totally relate to.
Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures – I’ve known Christina of Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures since high school. It’s been an absolute pleasure watching her blog grow over the past year and I’m in constant awe of the innovative, complicated desserts she tackles.
Sips and Spoonfuls – I’ve been following this blog for years and it’s one of my favourites. It’s uber modern with stunning photography and I owe Sukaina for my favourite chocolate cake recipe (see here).
Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends – I met Sarah through the Sunday Supper group and we were instant friends. I feel such an easy rapport with her, which is even easier given how much I love her entertaining stories and the tantalizing food she cooks.
She Walks Softly – this isn’t a food blog but it’s oh so delicious! This blog features all things unique, funky, original, kitschy, vintage and thought-provoking in visual form. Some of my favourite posts showcase hilarious old advertisements and vintage book covers.
I hope you check out some of these fantastic blogs.